Saturday, July 19, 2008

Using timestamps to log activity within an action

Today's post is excerpted from a comment by Jim:

Starting this week my boss wants weekly reports. To any MGTD user this is very easy. If you log your activities in the action tiddlers as I do, with a date time stamp (eg. "{t} - blah blah"), you just harvest the done or modded actions at the end of the week. What the Americans would call a "snap".

When coming back to work some more on an action (actions can get projecty), it is easy to see who you called, what was said etc. MGTD thus allows you to record and peruse different threads very easily. I have been looking for a tool that can do that since 1992. MGTD3 is easily the best so far.


That's a nice tip. From the usage description at InstantTimestampPlugin:
If you enter {ts} in your tiddler content (without the spaces) it will be replaced with a timestamp when you save the tiddler. Full list of formats:
  • {ts} or {t} -> timestamp
  • {ds} or {d} -> datestamp
  • !ts or !t at start of line -> !!timestamp
  • !ds or !d at start of line -> !!datestamp

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am using TS for a very long time now - I really should do a bit more documentation - shame on me...

5:29 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to see screenshots of how people are using this, thanks.

8:10 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm only half with you.

{t} and {d} work for me.

But !t and !d or !!timestamp and !!datestamps just give me bold text. What am I missin?

6:11 AM PDT  
Blogger simon said...

Try it this way:

!t[enter]

or

!d[enter]


Don't type [enter], press the enter key.

It's because !Heading1 at start of line is wiki format for a heading. Also !!Heading2, !!!Heading3. See also http://www.tiddlywiki.org/wiki/TiddlyWiki_Markup

7:01 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, got it.

I was fooled by 'at start of line', it's really 'on a line by itself

10:13 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home