Monday, September 22, 2008

Chrome, we are clear for launch

It works and it's FAST!!!!!

Here's what I did:
  • Chrome updated itself at some point. This was automatic for me, in fact I didn't know it had happened. If you have updating switched off go to the spanner menu and click About Google Chrome. It should give you a chance to update there.
  • I put TiddlySaver.jar in the directory with my MonkeyGTD file.
  • Now when I loaded MonkeyGTD Chrome told me it wanted to install Java. I clicked OK and it downloaded and installed the latest beta of Java. Looks like version 6 Update 10.
  • When that was all done I tried a save. It asked me if I trusted TiddlerSaver signed by UnaMesa. I said Yes.
  • Then I saved and it worked!
  • (Though at first it was failing to save backup. I think perhaps Chrome is not able to create a directory (if you specify a directory for your backups). So adjust the directory in AdvancedOptions or create the directory if you need to. Once I did that backups worked fine).
Firefox, we'll always be friends.
I should mention that there are some cosmetic issues with the header and the blink tag doesn't work at the moment.
And... I just tried a Tiddlyspot upload which didn't work (though I think this has worked in the past). Will investigate this later.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice. Your report inspired me to repeat the attempt to install chrome on my old win2k machine. Success this time - plus making mGTD save worked like a charm with your instructions.
However there are a few issues which will prevent me personally from using Chrome as my default browser for web apps and/or TW's:

# TiddlySaver.jar stops working if I put my machine into suspended or standby mode (Java shuts down - which is a problem e.g for the TaskTimerPlugin i use)

# The use of TiddlySaver.jar interferes with TW's great AllInOneFileConcept

# With Chrome (much) more system memory is needed (Java!)

# on my oldest machine, a 800MHz PIII /w 1GB RAM, the speed improvement is not significant compared with Firefox and almost not notable compared with Prism/Webrunner

Yes, I know this is a beta, I've done some initial tests only and I don't really have any ideas regarding possible other advantages of Chrome - so let's hope there's more to come...

--s.

6:11 AM PDT  
Blogger void said...

i see a blank screen in chrome when i open mGSD. the same filew works for IE. any help would be nice.

12:26 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home