Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Areas now look like something

Take a look at the Area lists at the bottom of the review menu. These will be great for higher altitude reviews, eg "Well, why don't i have any active projects under 'Quality Time with the Kids'" or "Someday/Maybes are really building up under 'Research and Development'".

Demo here (same location as before).

Someone asked about Subprojects. I think at the moment the complications they bring to the dashboards, lists and overall UI outweigh the benefits. The suggested work around is to name projects like so:
  • Big Project
  • Big Project - Part 1
  • Big Project - Part 2
It's not ideal. Or you could make an Area that encompasses a group of projects. Or even a Realm if it's useful. I haven't entirely given up on subprojects though. But there's too much else to do at the moment.

10 Comments:

Blogger kleerkoat said...

awesome! thanks for your continued work!

12:36 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Indeed, this is building up great and drawing my attention from the otherwise excellent Remember the milk. :)

Two questions that I came to think of again when trying the new demo:
1) Could an option be set that closes other tiddlers whenever another one is opened? That is, only having one tiddler open at a time. And possibly with latest tiddlers easily accessible to jump back and forth (I think it takes too much effort having to close tiddlers all the time).

2) When will the 3.0-pre-pre-alpha be available at Tiddlyspot?

Thanks!

12:58 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

daniel, for 1) check http://tiddlywiki.bidix.info/#HistoryPlugin

3:59 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't do subprojects now - save them for 4.0 (if at all) so you can get 3.0 out earlier!

All this great activity in the last few days is getting my hopes up that soon I might be able to upgrade from MGTD 2.1 alpha r91 to a shiny new fast MGTD. :-)

10:25 PM PDT  
Blogger Heller said...

OK Simon the workarounds suggested for subprojects (names, areas or realms) will work just fine. Keep up the fantastic work, like others I am all gung-ho to step over to this new version.

12:56 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

@Xavier: Thanks, that looks like it does the trick!

1:12 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great implementation of GTD! I am using 2.1a r91 and slowly converting to 3.0.

However, I prefer using Safari 3.1, and I cannot save in that browser.

Is that a known issue? And can it be fixed?

8:10 AM PDT  
Blogger simon said...

re safari, it should work. you need to install a java file I think. details on tiddlywiki.com

re upgrading to 3.0, I will write a howto soon.

5:11 PM PDT  
Blogger Mick said...

I use 2.1alpha, all day long, in fact.

I do use sub-projects, and mostly like them, but not how they flatten in some of the lists.

I'd be more aggressive with AREAS to compensate if sub-projects weren't available.

Thanks for pursuing this.

7:02 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That demo is snappy!
Great to see a head of steam building again. Good job Simon.

4:15 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home